Log in

No account? Create an account
10 April 2009 @ 07:20 pm
Becoming a teacher...  
If you were an English Lit major finishing your 4th yr of study would you be able to go straight into teaching?  Or would there be additional certificates to obtain or grad school to go to?  (If you wanted to teach English Lit.)

This would be in the State of Washington btw.

lurker2209lurker2209 on April 10th, 2009 06:58 pm (UTC)
"In order to teach in a public school classroom in Washington State, a person must become certified by completing a state-approved teacher certification program. Upon successful completion of a state-approved teacher certification program, the student earns a Residency Certificate. [Basically a Teaching certificate. I have no idea why they call it that.]...The Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B) is now required of all applicants to Washington-approved teacher preparation programs. The basic skills areas included in the assessment are reading, mathematics, and writing."

From TeachWashington.org

There are a couple types of state-approved teacher certification programs. Some colleges offer an undergraduate major in elementary or secondary education that includes the necessary field experience and student teaching to become certified. These programs almost always take four and a half to five years, because of the additional certification classes and at least a semester of student teaching. If the character (Bella, I assume?) completed a program like this, she'd have a BA and a teaching certificate.

In the state of Washington, Western Washington University is one school that has a program like this.

The other route is to complete a four year degree with certain prerequistes and then enter a graduate program to get a Master's in Teaching that also confers a teaching certificate. These programs can take two years, but some compressed programs take only one. At the end of the program, she'd have a Master's Degree and a teaching certificate.

The University of Washington's program is an example of this

If your character is completing her undergraduate studies out of State, you might want to check the TeachWashington site; they have some information on this.
Mary: ST;i'm so adjective i verb nouns!bebitched on April 11th, 2009 09:05 pm (UTC)
I think it depends on the licensure programs the specific college offers. I know the college I'll be getting my licensure from offers a program where you can go into teaching right out of a four-year degree, provided you do all the interning/classes starting your junior year, but a person's potential salary at that first job is significantly less than those that go for a master's degree. But, like I said, this is only for this particular college, which happens to be in Virginia.

Hope that helps!
prasath1 on September 7th, 2009 11:05 am (UTC)

Extreme care should be taken while getting a job.
Firstly you need to know in which technology area you are interested, then you can choose your studies or courses based on your wish.
While studying itself, have a knowledge on the company needs, focus your knowledge based on that.
Definitely you will get a job and also achieve a great position in that.
openings job